Mexican Pickled Carrots
Ingredients | 2 Pounds Large Carrots / 2 Large Jalapeños / 1/2 Med. White Onion / 5 Garlic Cloves, Diced / 1-1/2 Cups White Vinegar / 1-1/2 Cups Water / 6 Bay Leaves, Whole / 10 Peppercorns / 2 Tbsp Dried Mexican Oregano / 1 Tsp Kosher Salt | Tools | Vegetable Peeler / Large Stock Pot / Glass Jars with Lids |
- Peel Carrots; slice diagonally into 1/4" thick slices.
- Peel Onions; slice into 1/4" thick slices.
- Remove stems from jalapeños; slice thinly along the diagonal.
- In large stock pot, bring garlic, vinegar, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, oregano, and salt to a boil.
- To liquid add carrots, onion, and jalapeños. Lower heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Allow to cool completely before transferring contents to sterile glass jars.
- Seal jars and keep refrigerated.
- Carrots are ready after approx. 3 hours; best after 1 to 2 days in brine.
Ingredients | 2 Med. Red Onions, Halved and Sliced / 2 Cinnamon Sticks / 6 Cloves, Whole / Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes / 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar / 1/2 Cup Lime Juice / 1/4 to 1/2 Cup Sugar / 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt | Tools | Medium Bowl / Glass Jars with Lids / Small Saucepan / Whisk |
- In medium bowl, pour boiling water over onions, enough to cover entirely.
- Count to 10; drain water.
- Transfer onions to clean glass jars.
- In small saucepan, toast cinnamon, cloves, and red pepper flakes over medium high heat until fragrant. (approx. 3 to 5 minutes)
- Whisk in vinegar, lime juice, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt.
- Bring solution to a simmer; cook uncovered until sugar and salt are completely dissolved. (approx. 1 to 2 minutes)
- Taste liquid for sweetness adding sugar as needed.
- Pour brine over onions.
- Let stand at room temperature before covering; refrigerate until cool. Can hold for up to 2 weeks.
Ingredients | 1/2 Cup Olive Oil / 3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar / 3 Tbsp Water / 1/4 Cup Cilantro / 3 Tbsp Fresh Oregano / 3 Tbsp Garlic, Chopped / 3 Tbsp Shallots, Chopped / 1 Tsp Kosher Salt | Tools | Food Processor |
- Add all ingredients to food processor.
- Pulse until well combined.
- Sauce should be coarse in texture and assertive in flavor.
Ingredients | 1/2 Pound Tomatillos (approx. 5 - 6), Husked & Rinsed / 1/2 Cup Coarse Chopped Cilantro / 2 Jalapenos, Coarsely Chopped with Seeds / 1 Large Garlic Clove, Peeled / 2 Tbsp White Onion, Chopped / 1-1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt | Tools | Blender |
- Put husked tomatillos in blender first.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Pulse a few times before blending smooth. (approx. 1 min.)
- Season to taste with chiles; blend until smooth.
Pico de Gallo
Ingredients | 5 Plum (Roma) Tomatoes, Whole / 1/2 Whole Large Onion / 3 Jalapeños, Whole / Cilantro / Lime Juice / Salt | Tools | Bowl |
- Chop jalapeños, tomatoes, and onions into a very small dice. Leave seeds in jalapeños for a hotter pico.
- Chop up cilantro removing stems before chopping.
- In bowl, combine ingredients adding salt and stirring to taste.
- Squeeze in juice of half a lime.
Mexican Layer Dip
Ingredients | 1 Can Refried Beans / Tabasco or Tapatio Sauce / 1 Can Green Chilies, Diced / Ground Cumin / 3/4 Cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese / 1 Cup Sour Cream / 1 Cup Guacamole / 3/4 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese / 1 Can Black Olives / 1 Cup Pico De Gallo | Tools | Small Saucepan / Glass Bowl or High-Sided Dish |
- In small saucepan, warm refried beans over medium-low heat.
- Add several dashes of Tabasco or Tapatio Sauce and green chilies.
- Stir well before adding ground Cumin to taste.
- Spread beans on the bottom of a glass bowl or high-sided dish.
- Sprinkle in sharp cheddar cheese. Spread sour cream to form a single layer, being careful not to disturb the cheese below.
- Add layers of guacamole, Monterey Jack Cheese, chopped black olives, and Pico de Gallo.
GROCERY DELIVERY - 8am to 11am
Prepare Pickled Onions Fit Slipcover to Living Room Sofa Modify Paragon Billings & Resent Move Red Sideboard to Mantle Location; Paint Green to Match House Trim. Order Tablecloth, Cups, Candles (Amazon)
RUSSELL & BELYNDA IN TOWN
Test/Repair Sprinklers at Terrace/Front
Prepare Pickled Carrots
Reminder: Steve to Pull Cash for Grooming
Pick Up Packages at UPS Store
Repot Red-Leaf Plant at Terrace
Install Mantle in New Location
Hang/Reinstall Sailcloth Shades
Hang Office Door
Transfer Wash to Dryer; Fold
KARMA'S GROOMING APPOINTMENT
Sweep & Mop Entire House
Purchase Unit of Gravel (Russell to Pick up); Store in Garage
Reassemble White Desk in Garage for BBQ
Select/Wash Service Ware
Finish BBQ Playlist
Prepare Salsa Verde
TARGET: Disposable Plates, Unicorn Sprinkler
VONS: Tortilla Chips, Tortillas
MICHAELS: (2) Strands of Market Lights
EXTRAORDINARY DESSERTS - Pick Up Cake
Pull Weeds at Terrace
Pick Up Karma Droppings
Prepare Chimichutti, Pico de Gallo, & Mexican Bean Dip